Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tackling the Invites

I know one of the biggest DIY projects I will be doing for the wedding will be our invitations. I have already hunted down some good (cheap) sources for the paper I'll use. Cards and Pockets seems to have almost everything I'll need. And through Pinterest, I discovered the DIY section on Weddingbee, which is proving to be an excellent source of inspiration to get my creative juices flowing. I've come up with a mood board of sorts to help me keep organized what elements I'm really liking at the moment for the invitation suite. Take a look...

Invitation Suite Mood Board
All of the inspiration came from Pinterest, of course! I designed the logo based on this design from etsy seller sproulliedesign, and posted above, top right. I like the use of the Basho paper under the logo, but I might use a square of burlap instead to tie into the other elements of burlap I plan to use throughout the wedding itself. I also like the rafia wrapped around on top of a colored band. I'd do our band in either the turquoise or coral. 

I love the look of the charcoal gray invitation folder, found here and posted above second down on the right. It's a little formal looking, but with the added turquoise and coral, I am hoping it brings together the color of the guys' tuxes with the burlap and wedding colors. Gray is so in, not only for weddings, but in home decor and fashion, too. I definitely find myself gravitating toward it.    

I like the way this couple used various texts, sizes and colors to create the wording on their invitation, found here and posted above second down on the left. Reminds me of those trendy subway prints and adds a little whimsy, I think. 

This shop found a creative way to address their envelopes for a client's baby shower, pictured above, bottom left. I'd love to do something like that for our wedding. We're not going to hire a calligrapher, so hopefully I can achieve the same look through a cool font. Better brush up on my formatting skills! 

Like I mentioned up top, I plan on ordering charcoal gray invitation folders from Cards and Pockets since we'll have information about accommodations, directions, RSVPs. etc. to include with the actual invites. I like how this couple added an image to their invites, pictured above, bottom right. I may try that, too. That bride did all of her invites from scratch, including measuring out, cutting and folding the invitation folders herself. Very impressive!

So that's what I am thinking about right now in terms of the invites. Of course, I won't get to work on these until we have an actual date set, but it's always nice to have an idea of what you want, because I know these are going to take me a lot of time to make.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment