After about seven months, the outdoor sectional is finally complete! Take a look:
Way back in the fall, I decided that I was going to ditch the setup I had going in the backyard for a few years. It looked a little something like this, or at least when I first set it up it did:
So I devised a plan to create an outdoor sectional. I scoured Pinterest for ideas, but ultimately ended up with my own concept and design.
Here's the breakdown of how I built this:
1) After prepping the space by removing paver blocks and some bushes, I had to level the area so that the sectional would sit evenly.
2) I purchased 72 cinder blocks, and ended up with some extras, oh well. I also purchased pressure-treated, 3/4" plywood for the seating portion, which I stained white to match the fencing. I had them cut in half at Lowe's so that each piece was 2 feet x 8 feet, with 2 feet being the width of what the "box" I created with the cinder blocks would be. I then also painted the cinder blocks black because I know from experience the mulch kicks up and makes them look dirty. Now you won't notice that as much.
2) I then measured out the sectional to figure out where the end supports needed to be. I decided to use five main anchor points for the sectional. These are the four corners and one in the middle of long sectional piece where two pieces of the seating come together. I used four cinder blocks on each level. The two end boxes are just the two levels. The three back pieces I built up an additional level on each to cover and support where the seating pieces came together. See:
The nice thing about that is it allows me to have a flower box, arm or drink rest on the upper level of cinder blocks, which I think adds a nice touch, and it also ensures that the plywood doesn't go anywhere since it's not really attached to anything. I plan to add more plants. Perhaps some lemon grass to deter the mosquitoes.
3) Once the boxes of cinder blocks were built, it was time to put on the seating. All I did was lay out the now stained plywood boards on top of the boxes, which I had already measured out so the pieces would fit. In the corners, we (my fiance) had to cut the plywood so that the pieces would fit together without overlapping.
4) Once all the plywood was in place and we tested out the seating, we realized that the benches needed more support. So I added in two more cinder blocks, stacked on top of each other, halfway between each of the support boxes. Like this:
I still need to sew some additional pillows. I have my old outdoor pillows, but they don't match. I was going to get some matching fabric and just use the forms from the old pillows to save some money. I also need to re-mulch and add some more plants.
Here's the shot from above again. You'll have to excuse the little netting over the shot. I took it through the screen in an upstairs bedroom. You'll notice that I reused my old table and chairs to make a little eating area on one of the ends. We also threw the fire pit in the middle and added an old rocker with some fresh paint for even more seating. I am so excited to get to use this all spring, summer and fall!