Thursday, April 4, 2013

Another dresser project

Man, it's been a while since I last posted. Sorry about that! Did I really not blog at all in the month of March? Been busy, busy!

Anyhoo, I am back today to talk about my latest project, which just so happens to be another dresser project. Many moons ago, like in January, I talked about trying to find a dresser for our bedroom that would replace the shelving unit I have now under the TV. You can read about that here.

I scoured Craigslist for months and stopped in weekly at my favorite local thrift stores. I never knew it'd be so difficult to find a dresser that would fit in the space. You see, I needed the dresser to not be too wide since it sits between the doors to our master bathroom and my closet. I also needed it to not be too tall so that it could fit under the TV. Well, after feeling like Goldilocks, I finally found one that will work. Except it needs a lot of work. Good thing I am up for the challenge!

Here's the dresser that I scored for $40 on Craigslist. It's real wood with dovetail joints and everything! But you can also see it has some nasty, black, tar-like substance on the top back right corner. The veneer around the feet is also peeling off. Oh and it's missing a pull. Yikes!

The new master bedroom dresser - BEFORE

A close up of the nasty, black, tar-like substance on the top of the dresser

Here's that nasty, black, tar-like substance in relief view You can see how thick it is on there! Gross!

Veneer all cracked and coming off the feet. Don't mind the dog hair!

Another foot showing the cracking and peeling veneer.
Now that I've found my dresser that is juuuust right, I have big plans to make it our own. My first bout of pinspiration has come from all of the beautiful ombre dressers that I've been seeing lately.  Like this, this and this.

However, this dresser will have a twist.

Not my actual bedroom, but I do own the bedspread! Bedspread from here.
 You see, that is our bedspread, but its not our actual bedroom. Don't worry, I will do a full master bedroom reveal once this dresser is done! I plan to paint the dresser and the drawers in the shades of blue that in the comforter. So, it won't be exactly ombre since the stripes are different blues and not just different tones of the same blue, but it'll have the same effect, I hope.

I have already purchased the paint by bringing in the pillowcase to Lowe's and having them match the colors. Since there isn't a lot to paint, I just had them make me the those little Valspar samples for about $3 each. Awesome! But because I am an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint freak and love working with that paint, I have decided to turn these samples into homemade chalk paint using this technique. I'll let you know if I like it better than the real thing.

I also plan to stain the top of the dresser a dark brown to match the rest of our bedroom furniture to tie it all together. I also plan to use Annie Sloan's dark wax just like this. This will be my first time trying out the dark wax. Very excited!

Pinspiration via Shades of Amber
I hope to have this done in the next week or so and be able to share it with everybody. But mostly I can't wait to finally have the extra storage in our bedroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment